nine acres of undulating woodland it has sheltered grass sites that
are suitable for Group or Patrol camping. Being positioned between
the Frodsham and Helsby Hills at the end of the sandstone ridge
that runs NW to NE across the Cheshire plain, it is an ideal base
site for those wishing to walk the Sandstone Trail or the Delamere
Outside there is enough area for up to 150
people to camp on the field or on Patrol sites. Altar fires are
available for most sites and the custodians prefer hirers to use
these, but there are some ground level concrete slabs for those who
prefer them. However wood is in short supply and campers are
requested to be frugal in their usage or to bring supplies of their
Indoor accommodation comes in the form of the Log Cabin that
offers sleeping for up to 30, an activity/dining room, toilets,
showers and a fully equipped kitchen. The building is heated all
year round and is an excellent venue for Pack holidays.
- Activity/Dining Room
- Fully Equipped kitchen with industrial size cooker, grill,
large fridge, warming oven and microwave. No freezer. All cooking
pots, utensils, crockery and cutlery provided. Please provide your
own cleaning materials and tea towels.
- Two bunk rooms each sleeping 10. (Two bunks in each have a
- Two bunk rooms each sleeping 4.
- Leader's room sleeping 2.
- Male and female toilets. Showers. Disabled facilities.
- Electric cooking, water supply and storage heating
- All bunks have mattresses. (No bedding is supplied)
|Fees for 2015:
(per person per night)
All fees for the Hideaway and camping are inclusive of
electricity and use of showers. A deposit of one nights fee for The
Hideaway and £15 per group for camping are required. These are
non-refundable and cancellation under six weeks prior to your stay
your group will be invoiced for the balance.
The Hideaway: February to November
Camping: April to October
Open 5.30pm Friday to 5pm Sunday.
Outside these hours the Hideaway and campsite gates are locked
unless previously arranged with the booking secretary at least 2
weeks in advance
at Queen Charlotte's Wood
- Pioneering Poles are
available but must be replaced in the racks after use.
- Toilets and Showers for campers are available
at the southern end of The Hideaway
- The Camp Chapel is available for Scout's Own
and similar services. Please respect this tranquil spot.
- An Orienteering Course for cubs is available
on the Site. Ask the booking warden for details.
- An Archery Range is provided but must be used
under strict supervision. Permission must be obtained from our
qualified instructor who can be contacted through the booking
- Campfire Circles. The main circle is
situated behind The Hideaway. There is a smaller circle at the
western end of the Site between Badger's Rake and the Alders.
- Camp Blanket Badges. These can be purchased
from the Duty Warden. See design on site map.
in the Surrounding Area
- Climbing and Abseiling on crags at Helsby and
- Adventure Trail at Manley Mere (charged)
- Sandstone Trail can be picked up on the
Ridgeway next to the caravan park.
- Canoeing and Sailing at Chester steps and
- Delamere Forest. There are cycling and walking
trails and a visitors centre
- Windsurfing at Manley Mere (charged)
Places To Go
- Mouldsworth motor museum
- Norton Priory
- Ellesmere Port boat museum
- Blue Planet aquarium, Ellesmere Port
- Beeston Castle
- Candle Workshop, Burwardsley
- Catalyst Museum, Widnes
- Chester Zoo
- Roman Chester
- Beetle's Museum and Liverpool Museum, Liverpool
All camping, indoor accommodation and evening sectional
activities must booked through the Campsite Managers. For general
enquiries contact the campsite managers.
Ian and April Nicholas
Frodsham, WA6 6EG
Tel: 01928 732885
For more information see: http://www.merseyweaverscouts.org.uk/campsite/
From Frodsham take A56 past Netherton Hall Pub turning left on
to Tarvin Road (B5393). After just over 1 mile fork left on to The
Ridgeway. The Campsite is .75 mile on the right.
Coming from the Chester/Wirral direction continue eastward along
the A56 through Helsby passing Helsby High School on your left and
an ATS garage on the right. Turn right immediately after this
garage and take the narrow road to link up with the Tarvin Road.
Turn right at the T-junction and continue along Tarvin Road as
described above to pick up The Ridgeway.
Approaching from the Northwich direction along the B5152/B5153
turn left just passed Five Crosses Church on to Manley Road. Carry
on up the hill and after about 2.5 miles turn right onto Commonside
then first right on to The Ridgeway. QCW is about .25 miles on the