Cheshire Scouts Mountain Team are running a Hill Walking Permit Training and Assessment weekend in the beautiful Cairngorm Mountains of Scotland. We will be staying in a comfortable hotel, all fully catered.
This event is designed to help you gain a permit, probably to take members out walking in the snow in England or Wales. We only go to Scotland to increase our chances of finding good snow to train on.
Start Friday 9th February at 7:30pm
You will be able to check in from 3pm
Finish Sunday 11th February about 4-6pm after we get off the mountain
We need everyone to be there on the Friday evening for the briefing
Plus a compulsory pre-event workshop on Sunday 28th January at Cuddington & Sandiway Scout Hall. This workshop is very important – please do not miss it.
This course is open to:
- Members of the Scout Association
- Over 18s only
- Those who have a summer Terrain 1 or Terrain 2 permit, or who have completed the training course with the Cheshire Scouts Mountain Team
Cost is £135 per person, paid when you book (plus Eventbrite booking fee). If you are looking to get a hill walking permit to take your Scouts on the hills then you should be able to claim some of this back from your Scout Group but please check this in advance with your treasurer or GSL.
We are staying at the Nethybridge Hotel, Main St, Nethy Bridge PH25 3DP
- Your accommodation in a twin room
- Dinner on the Friday evening
- Breakfast and dinner on the Saturday
- Breakfast on the Sunday
- Some equipment hire if you need it (see kit list)
- Training and assessment
This does not include:
- Transport to and from the Highlands to arrive before 7:30pm Friday
- The transport up to the mountain (we will car share each day) from the hotel
- Lunches and snacks, please bring your own lunches and hill snacks
- Drinks or alcohol, you can buy your own in the bar
- Insurance other than that included as a Scout member
The rooms are based on 2 people sharing a twin or double room, please let us know when you book if you have someone you would like to share with and if you would like a double or twin room. If you are travelling on your own, we will pair you up with another scout leader. All rooms are en-suite with tv, tea and coffee. If you are looking at the hotel website, we are only using their Classic rooms, the others are closed for the winter. There is a comfy lounge, bar and games room. Breakfast is a buffet and dinner is restaurant service.
We are training people to get their Terrain 1 or Terrain 2 Winter Hill Walking permit. This is a pretty advanced permit that enables you to take young people into the hills and mountains in the snow and ice! We are also offering assessment.
We run these courses in Scotland, just to have a better chance of getting snow. Most people will be looking for a permit for England and Wales. Even if your ambition is simply to take your scouts up Shutlingsloe in the snow, this is still the course for you.
We will cover:
- Moving safely in the winter mountains
- Using an ice axe and crampons to cross the mountains
- Winter navigation
- Avalanche safety
- Emergency rope safety
- Winter group management
- Winter planning
- And more…
The schedule will be something like this:
- Workshop: Please be at the pre-weekend workshop on Sunday 28th January
- Friday: meet at 7:30pm at the hotel for dinner, a briefing and chat
- Saturday: a very early breakfast followed by a drive to the Cairngorm ski centre for a full day of winter skills. We will be back at the hotel for a hot shower, dinner and chill time.
- Sunday: Another early start, possible for a chance to bag a winter Munro! We will be checking out of the hotel before heading up the mountain so people can leave afterwards.
contact [email protected]