An opportunity to learn all the skills necessary to take scouts hillwalking in winter terrain. Candidates must be over 18 already have completed their summer hillwalking training as a minimum. Hillwalking in winter is arduous and difficult and candidates should ensure that they are mentally and physically prepared for 2 long days in very difficult conditions. We will cover moving safely in the winter mountains, using an ice axe and crampons, winter navigation, avalanche safety and more.
We are staying at the Nethybridge Hotel. The rooms are based on 2 people sharing a twin, please let us know when you book if you have someone you would like to share with. If you are travelling on your own then we will pair you up with another scout leader. All rooms are en-suite with tv, tea and coffee. If you are looking at the hotel website, we are using their Classic rooms only.
The £125 course fee includes:
- The compulsory workshop on 22nd January
- Your accommodation in a twin room
- Dinner on the Friday evening at 8pm
- Breakfast and dinner on the Saturday
- Breakfast on the Sunday
- Limited equipment hire
- Training and assessment
This course fee does not include:
- Transport to and from the Highlands to arrive before 8pm Friday
- The transport up to the mountain (we will car share each day) from the hotel
- Lunches and snacks, please bring your own lunches and hill snacks
- Drinks or alcohol
- Insurance other than that included as a Scout member
There is a compulsory pre-event workshop held on Sunday 22nd January 2023.
Please contact Neil McAleece – [email protected] – for any further information.