Cheshire Scouts Newsletter
Message from Graham Phillips, County Commissioner re Coronavirus and Covid-19
Firstly I want to thank all our volunteers for the responsible way they are dealing with the current situation, which by all accounts is going to become more challenging over the coming weeks. Thank you for all you continue to do for Scouting locally.
Cheshire Scouts will always follow the latest UK Government and UK Scouts advice, as our primary point of reference. We need to continue to respond to the developing situation in a calm, measured and appropriate way.
The County Trustees are looking at the financial risks associated the current and developing situation.
Should the UK Government or UK Scouts issue clear guidance on restricting ‘gatherings’, our position will align with this guidance.
District and Group-led activities:
Our aim should be to continue to ensure that young people and adults stay safe; yet continue to benefit from our provision. Wherever possible we need to continue to deliver local Group Scouting so that young people feel less isolated.
Districts and Groups must monitor UK Government / UK Scouts guidance and local circumstances. Districts and Groups need to engage their Trustees in decision-making relating to financial risk.
Before taking any decisions to suspend Scouting locally Groups are advised to contact their DC (District Commissioner) for support and guidance.
Cheshire County Events
By their very nature these tend to involve larger numbers and involve larger amounts of financial risk. This is the current situation;
- Cheshire Hike postponed due to weather conditions to 10/11 October 2020
- County Dinner postponed to 8 November 2020
- CuBe moved to May 2021 (It has not been cancelled it has simply been rescheduled, see below for more information.)
- Cub Handicraft Competition postponed to 26th September 2020
- Beaver Challenge to be postponed to Oct/November 2021
- Explorer Belt Information Evening (23 March) under review
- ADC’s Forum (1 Jun) cancelled
- County AGM (9 Jun) under review
- County Scout Sunday (14 Jun) under review
- Royal Cheshire Show (16/17 June) currently going ahead
While we appreciate the disappointment caused by moving dates and having to cancel some events the safety of our members remains our top priority.
County Training Courses
For the time being we will continue to deliver the schedule of training courses for as long as practical. This will be kept under review and are subject to the agreement of our trainers to deliver the courses in theses challenging circumstances (please remember that like you they are volunteers).
The Government’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) webpage is frequently updated as things develop, and our members should check it regularly (www.gov.uk/coronavirus)
Other Useful Links
UK Government Advice
UK Government Travel Advice
Unity Insurance Services Advice
What can we do to help?
Scouting is embedded into our local communities and you will have heard me say many times that we are the largest voluntary movement for young people in Cheshire. Now is the time to step up and support our local communities. Here are some thoughts;
- Every section should be running activities to show young people the simple precautions they can take to help the current situation like hand washing techniques.
- Scouts & Explorers could run evenings showing how to work out what is potential fake news and what is reliable news
- Can you find ways to support people in your very local community such as shopping, collecting medicine etc. These are things we can do without putting ourselves at additional risk by undertaking the task and delivering to the house without actually going inside.
- If know people who are potentially isolated make contact with them on a regular basis, maybe jut pick up a phone have a regular conversation
- Are there ways we can support each other, social media could be a lifeline for those with access to it.
Find Out More